Answered By: Catherine Johnson Last Updated: Feb 07, 2019 Views: 130
The Nimitz Library works to include donations and gifts of books and other materials on a "as needed" basis. Financial donations or gifts to the Nimitz Library can be made to the Naval Academy Foundation - Nimitz Library Fund.
If you wish to donate physical materials to the Nimitz please email a list of those items that you would like to donate to Mark de Jong, Associate Library Director for Collections and Resource Management. The list of materials will be reviewed to make sure the materials would enhance the collection in order to support the Academic curriculum of the Naval Academy by the library staff. If there are materials needed/wanted by the library, you will be contacted with information about the specific titles. Delivery of the materials will be arranged at that time. Once the materials are received in the Library, the staff will work to complete the official donation acceptance forms. All gifts and donations are officially accepted by the Superintendent of the U.S. Naval Academy.
Some specific notes:
- The library will not accept any "donations" or "gifts" that have not been past through the review process. Materials left in the library or sent to the library will not be considered donations - meaning they will not undergo the acceptance process so there will not be an acknowledgement of the donation. These materials will not be returned to donor. They may or may not be added to the collection.
- Materials such as manuscripts, broadsides, "rare books" or materials published before 1861 will be referred to the Head of Special Collections and Archives for inclusion in that collection.
- The Nimitz Library does not typically accept "self-published" materials.
- The Nimitz Library has limited space and typically is not interested in donations of additional copies of materials we already own.
- Here is more information about our book donation policy.